All the Posts

The Last Post before Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2013

Loved this post from Another Mother Runner, Dimity, today on her thoughts going into Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  To those of you new to this blog, I am tackling my first (and only Ironman) on Sunday… and so is #BAMR Dimity.  So anyway, Dimity posted a chart of her proposed times for the race, saying, “I feel like I’m showing you my stretch marks and vericose veins: these numbers feel that intimate to me…”   She’s awesome.

So I liked her idea of making a chart.  Not that I haven’t made it in my head or on my private paper scraps a million times, but for the benefit of just general point of reference for you guys. So when you track me, you can say, “Wow, she’s doing awesome!”  or… “Ruh roh.”   You know, that kind of thing.

[I am hoping for more of the former.]

So with a thanks and credit to Dimity for the idea, here’s my chart:

IRONMAN CDA SWIM T1 BIKE T2 RUN TOTAL
A Perfect Day 1:20:00 0:05:00 7:00:00 0:04:00 5:30:00 14:05:00
A Great Day 1:30:00 0:08:00 7:30:00 0:07:00 6:00:00 15:13:00
All Hell Breaks Loose 1:45:00 0:10:00 8:06:00 0:10:00 6:47:00 16:59:00

….but one lessson I have have learned in this sport is never to compare yourself to others.  Maybe that’s why I am calm. Because I know that it’s just me and me and me out there.  Not like I’m making the Kona rolldown, people.

You may note that Dimity and I are quite far apart on what “hell breaking loose is” (she calls hers “some hiccups”—-I say “hell breaking loose”—-her outloook might be a little better on this one….)

IMG_1491

So status update:

I am all packed.  We leave on a jet plane at 6:00am tomorrow.  My parents meet us at the airport in Atlanta. My race stuff is neatly divided into garbage bags in a giant suitcase. The kids are packed in their little suitcase.  The Expert, well, he’s on his own. He’s one of those awesome packers. He should have been a flight attendant. He should have actually packed me, come to think of it.  I can’t wait to see him do an Ironman someday. The OCD, whoa.

I practiced changing two tubes this AM on good ole Antonia. What a sport she is.  Even though she was with me in the beginning, it’s Andy who gets the Ironman glory. I’m sorry Antonia.  You are most definitely there in spirit!

IMG_1488

With this morning, I had my last one-hour bike ride.

I say this will likely be my last post before the race, but I always end up OVER-posting during race time because I am full of nervous energy and I am bored out of my mind.   We’ll just say that I plan for this post to be my last post (ha ha).  Of course, I’ll obesessively Instagram, Tweet and Facebook.

So anyway, my last long ride today.

As many of you know before every race, I try take some time to reflect on how far I’ve come. Not for the sake of website braggery— but more to show myself—-that I am about to do what I set out to do—however long ago.  It’s like counting my hay in my barn, you know. For me, this Ironman idea started in August of last year.  So it’s been a while.

And this morning as I sat on my bike trainer for the last time before CDA, I had random music playing on iTunes. The song,
“You Found Me”, by The Fray, began playing. And I immediately began to cry. This was one of the songs from the first spin class— the life-changing moment for me.

“Lost and insecure
You found me
Lying on the floor…”

You can read the whole history of it here, but as I sat on my trainer for the hour… I thought back to that first hour and spin class where I thought I was literally going to die. I thought about how much I hated myself then. How I hated the person I had become. How lost I felt. Sad. Isolated. Fat. Angry. Mad. Ugly. Horrible. Tired. Hideous. (You get the idea).

I, by no means, have this Ironman in the bag.  I have worked hard for it.  But it’s still a very long day and a very long race.  But I believe I will finish.

MoveForward
Because one thing I’ve learned in this journey—-is that it really doesn’t matter what you look like, or what your God-given abilities are, or where you start. What matters is what you dream, what you believe in your mind and in your heart.

What matters are the things you think about yourself …when you’re alone.

And you know you are changing/have changed when the things you say when you’re alone change from, “you’re a fat worthless person” …to… “maybe I will do an Ironman.”

The one hour ride was a simple warm-up. My first-ever hour on a spin bike—-I thought I would not survive. So as I reflected on where I began, in August 2010, I can say, “That’s some progress.”  That’s a whole helluva a lotta moving forward. 🙂

And that’s where I am. I have simply grown.  I’m taking nothing for granted.

cda
Of course… as I said… this race won’t be easy. But I am working on focusing my mind. I’m grateful in the heart. I have many miles in these legs. And I am slightly fatter than I would like to be in the body. But all in all, I have had an amazing journey to this point in my life, to this race.

I could not ask for more.

Thank you all for your love and support. Love to you all.

See you at the finish!

jkmf

* * *

(My bib is #369. Tracking info is on the Ironman graphic below.)

And thanks again to my amazing support system.
Couldn’t have done any of this without you.

My Dad
My Mom
Coach Monster
My Grandparents
YOU, my SBM friends
Yoda, Sweet Red and Mountain Goat
Dr. MMH, Ilana Katz and McBlessings
Stella, my daughter
James, my son
The Expert

IMG_1478

61 Comments

• sally young

June 18, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Own it girl. You will love and hate every second. Try to love more than hate because when it’s over and you look back, you will truly realize that you accomplished something that few people ever have the chance to….and that is train for an Ironman. The training and the journey are sometimes feel more like an accomplishment that the actual race…which you will rock out. My friend Brad is also racing and his wife Michelle who is my dear friend, will look out for you and cheer for you if she sees you…on my behalf. The hay is in the barn. Can’t wait to track you!

• Mary

June 18, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Can’t wait for the race report! Enjoy your race! I know you’ll do it well because your “just keep moving forward” mantra is golden…got me through my first tri and all that followed last year. You’ve got this!!!

• Cameron

June 18, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Can’t wait for the race report! IMAZ is 5 months away for me and I need to hear all the nitty gritty – stretch marks, vericose veins, etc…. about how the race day unfolded for you! I’d say Good Luck but honestly you don’t need it because you’ve put the miles in and you’re ready!

KEEP CALM AND IRONMAN ON!!!

• Cristen P

June 18, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Good Luck Meredith!! I feel like I have a “friend” doing CDA and definitely will be tracking you. I think you will have your best day ever. Even your taper week is more than I manage to do in my normal training week, so I know you are ready! Godspeed!

• Cheryl Donnelly

June 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

“What matters are the things you think about yourself …when you’re alone.”
    Love, Love, Love this!! This is what I need to change about myself and what the next 12 weeks are all about. I’ve said it before but what an inspiration you are. Just last night I found myself chanting….Just Move Forward during my 5 mile run and it helped, it really did. You got this girl!!!!

• Erin

June 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

funny, I did the same thing. We have the same bike goals 🙂

I did a mini-freak out when I set mine up. Basically because my “best” is 2.5 hours FASTER than my other IM. Holy crap.

• Katie

June 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’m so excited to track you. Be in the moment, soak it in, have fun with the volunteers and spectators, and savor every second that you worked so hard ot achieve. You earned it and you will be an Ironman come Sunday night!

• Cindy S.

June 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Go get it!!! You’ve earned it. Wishing you luck and happy trails ahead. Enjoy your day out there on Sunday; you will cherish the memories forever.

• Colleen Kingery

June 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

You, my dear, are going to have an AMAZING day! I just know it. Be proud of yourself for how far you’ve come. Be confident in yourself in where your body can take you. Be patient with the day as it unfolds. Be in the moment… because there’s nothing like your first Ironman. We’ll be following you on Sunday and cheering our arses off from Suwanee. xoxo

• Mary

June 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Cheering for you Meredith! You are an inspiration. I was to do my first Olympic this weekend, but due to shoulder pain and, let’s be honest, fear of the swim I downgraded to do another sprint, but you give me courage that one day I will fulfill my bucket list of a half ironman (I’m only half crazy!)

• Becky

June 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

So stinkin’ proud of you! and if you hear some loud noises coming from the north east, it’s me cheering you on from the Great White North. Go grrrl go! <3

• Blake Casares

June 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm

This is it! Congratulations on your amazing journey & I can’t wait to follow you this weekend! So freakin amazing!

• Wanda

June 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm

You are great! And you will do great on this race. I am so excited for you. I’m on pins and needles! Can’t wait to read all about your IM race!!

• April Judd

June 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm

What matters are the things you think about yourself …when you’re alone.

Thank you for this line. Made me cry for it’s so true and so powerful!
    I am nursing a foot injury, so will be cuddling up with your book I just got in the mail (eep!) and learn all I can, so when I get back to running I can kick it!

So excited for you! Can’t wait to watch the race. Enjoy!

• Lisa Serrano

June 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

we will ALL BE WITH YOU! our spirit will carry you on the run! Channel the pain into that vision of running down the final chute in euphoria…I 100% believe you will tell the finishline story to your kids. 1000s of people will be thinking of you, willing you to the finish on June 23. embrace it. we are in it with you all the way to the finishline. Rock on!

• Trish

June 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

<3 Have the time of your life!! You have earned every single mile of 140.6. We will all be there cheering you on in spirit and carrying you through the tough moments!!

• Rene

June 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Good luck, Meredith! Found your blog about a year ago and have followed your amazing journey regularly. Your posts are so inspirational. Best of luck!

• Mark Thalman

June 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Kill it Meredith! And know that somewhere on a lonesome road in Williamsburg, Virginia when you first dip your toes in the lake at CDA,will be a guy you inspired to do his first 70.3. We got this!

• Julie Moscol

June 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Oh, sweet girl, whom I love dearly but have yet to meet. I’m spilling tears of pride for you today. I cannot (CANNOT) wait for the victorious race report. Thank you for speaking from the heart and making this SBM feel a little less lonely on this crazy journey! Kick BUTT!

• Kelly

June 18, 2013 at 10:33 pm

A BIG ol congratulations and good luck to you!! You have been so inspiring and I can’t wait to see you cross the finish line. Go get em! See ya soon!

• Carrie @Tempo Life Coaching

June 19, 2013 at 2:04 am

I’m going to do NOTHING on Sunday besides track you! Seriously, i’m that excited for you. Wish I could be there in person to yell and scream and help to keep you moving, but I’ll be here in San Diego cheering you on and crying for you/with you when you cross that finish line. Go get ’em Mere! You’re still my hero!

Carrie

• Molly

June 19, 2013 at 11:35 am

Heard you on the run like a mother podcast and now am an avid follower. Have a great day Sunday! I’m very excited for you and Dimity.

• Kelly

June 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

Kick ass, Meredith! You are an amazing inspiration whether you finish CDA in 12 hours, 16:59 or 18 hours! Just know all the other Swim Bike Moms will be tracking you on race day. Even though you can’t see us on the course, we’re all there in spirit.

• Radha

June 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

You are such an inspiration to all of us tri-ing to have fun and push our own limits! I’m so excited for you, and will be tracking you from Canada. You’re going to rock this!

• Nancy McMahon

June 19, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Teary-eyed ready your post! So excited for you, l will try to follow on Sunday but know that there are bunches of us following you and rooting you on… you rock!

• LDoll

June 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm

You’ve got this. Enjoy every moment, painful or not. You’ve earned this race over and over again. Cannot wait to see your face at the finish line, and cannot wait for your race report!

• Helga

June 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

I’ll be tracking you Meredith! Thanks to you I did my first sprint tri last weekend. Thank you. Feel my energy waves from me to you on Sunday and all the positive vibes I can push over to you as you tackle those huge hills. I’ll be with you in spirit, me and everyone else who you’ve pulled into your wonderful world.

• Laurie

June 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Will be sending you such positive thoughts on this amazing day! So excited to follow you and see your race. You WILL Rock it!

• Liz

June 23, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Run Meredith run! So proud of you. I am new to your quest but am with you in spirit. Your victory is in getting to this day, therest is icing on the cake. Thank you for your inspiration. Now finish this

• Caitlin

June 27, 2013 at 6:39 pm

It shouldn’t be a big deal to show your goal splits- but it is- OH it is!! I’m running the NYC marathon in November- my first marathon- and I have a goal time and I haven’t told anyone except the guy who made my plan. If you tell someone and you don’t meet the goal you’ve set- you’ll feel like you’ve failed even though you have not by a long shot. I get it.