All the Posts

A Little 5k Saturday

Ran the Woodyfest 5k today in Dunwoody, GA benefitting Foundation Love Your Neighbor, a non profit focused on building and supporting an orphanage in the Dominican Republic.

So liked the charity – and loved the sponsor – Lululemon!

IMG_2929

Really amazing swag. A race t-shirt AND a lulu goodie, unique to each bag. I received a lulu shirt, my friend received socks. Cool.

The point of today’s 5k was to push myself as hard as I could and sustain for the entire 3.1 miles – for some heartrate testing. Now, I have not done much of this in my racing “career” (a term used very loosely here, of course). I have done mostly slow-burn, Zone 2 training and racing.

I was out of my comfort zone and woke up more nervous that I am before triathlons! Weird. I guess because “fast” is not my usual zone. In fact, I have never actually been in such zone. Ever.

The weather was perfect. Nice and cool. I did a little 1 mile jog to warm up. Hit the porta-potties twice and was ready to go.

Met SBM friend, Sher, at the race too. She’s training for her first half Iron next year.

IMG_2924

It’s a whole new world, this “running for time” thing.  Ha!

I pushed as hard as I could without being forced to quit, and I am pretty proud of my result.

PR’d my best 5k time by over a minute! I am still not quite sub-30, but I’m getting there.

>Here’s a little SBM 5k history:

So really, today, with a time of 31:11 (my watch) and 31:14 (official race results)…  I am pretty happy. Been awhile since I PR’d anything… especially running.

5k1

My Garmin showed that I actually ran 3.22 miles… if that’s the case, then the pace was flying. Race results showed a 10:05 pace, and 3.1 miles. Either result is fine by me.

My goal for 2014 is to become a runner.
[Yes, yes, I actually know that I am a runner.  I know that I am.] But I want to become a better runner this year.

Despite my hip dysplasia and weight, I want to learn to run well, with proper form and get faster.

Hopefully, I will lose weight once and for all– but really, I’m in a place where that’s just not mattering as much anymore. I am, at least, refusing to obsess over it. I have taken almost 8  minutes off my 5k in three years, and really, not weighing that much less than when I started.

Do the best with what you have.

IMG_2931

My heartrate was through the roof this run, and I felt amazing and finished with everything I had.  I sometimes struggle with knowing when to really push and when to hold back. Today was great.

And I returned home to the girl Swim Bike Kid wearing her bathing suit in the house (we don’t have a pool).  She wanted to wear my race number too.

IMG_2930

We’re doing another 5k next weeked  (it’s a Superheroes vs. Villains race—the Swim Bike Family are all wearing capes) – and the kiddos are included too.  The girl child is stoked.

The Expert just headed out to Anderson for the Rev3 race tomorrow. The kiddos and I are driving up super early to cheer him on.  Should be beautiful day!

Have a great weekend friends!

12 Comments

• Nicola

October 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Ah Meredith, I really love your posts. I’ve been feeling bit guilty recently since only doing runs 3 x week (got bit of running club going on wed nights – keeping with your ethos ‘ you can do this, just keep moving’) can’t remember my last swim or bike but I know will click soon. But boy do I lurve my running (was my nemesis). Your little girl (my girls 7 n 12) in swimsuit ……. she has great spirit and yes we need to worry about future competition 🙂

• Lisa Serrano

October 12, 2013 at 7:18 pm

just FYI, your garmin TIME is when you start your watch but MOVING time is really the run speed. so 1:07 minutes was from start to finish so did you stop? It appears you actually ran faster than you think if you don’t count the pause somewhere. you ran a 9:19 avg “moving” pace! woohoo!

• Angie

October 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I just bought some Newtons for my slow running comeback from my stress fracture. I’m a little nervous about the change. Are you running in yours all the time now?

• Erin

October 12, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Congrats on your new 5K PR! Running out of my comfort zone is really hard for me as well. And congrats for refusing to obsess over your weight. You do great, inspiring and amazing things. The number on the scale or on the tag in the jeans does nothing to enhance or detract from those great, inspiring and amazing things. Love ya SBM!

• Txcristen

October 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

Congrats on a PR!! I am doing a rare 5K for the Komen Race for the Cure next month and want to run it for time, too! I am training for my first HIM in April and so something “little” like this is different from what I’ve been doing all summer! I’m excited!! My friend’s and I always say with our spring tri’s after the bike, its “just a lil ole 5k” at the end…but running one alone outside of a tri will be a breath of fresh air! Since tri season is over for now…I will become a BETTER RUNNER too!

• Kim

October 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Congrats! I hear you on wanting to be a runner…even though you are a runner already! I’m the same way. Always wanting to lose the weight, get faster, run better, etc. I do want to say though that you are looking awesome! You may not weigh as much less as you would like, but you look fabulous!! I’m working my comeback after a nasty, nasty Crohn’s flare that has left me with all the 40lbs that I had previously lost and none of the fitness that I had previously gained! 🙁

• Therese Slechta

October 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm

i think you look amazing! i also think you bring people back to reality with your posts. You put things in perspective. I love, love the idea of running 5k again. I’ve done 3 ironmans and been doing all this over 10 yrs, its been 5 yrs since i ran a 5k. I hate running, but would love to be faster. my weight is around 180 and would love to see 160. so i did something way stupid, this coming weekend i’m doing a duathlon. why? why would i want to run twice? are you kidding me? but it is tiny. run 2 miles, bike 13 miles, and run 2 miles. I did ironman wisconsin 6 weeks ago, haven’t touched my bike since, so this will be a challenge for me. but yes, indeed i want to be faster, fitter, thinner, skinner, lighter, all of the above! thanks for inspiring others!!