All the Posts

You’re a Freak.

Today’s workout was stupid stupid.

Okay, so I had a bad workout on Sunday.  I totally failed to finish half the bike ride and I had a headache and could not even keep my eyes open. I was supposed to swim as well, but I was DOA.  One of the worst bonk/heat exhaustion workouts ever.  So I felt like a failure from the bad workout, but I was determined to make up the swim.

So, I moved my Sunday swim to this morning, before spin class.

But then I realized that I was scheduled for a run after spin.  Huh.  Swim. Bike. Run.

Swim – 1000 yards
Bike – Spin Class (15 miles)
Run – 4 miles

Holy guacamole.

I was scheduled to do a longer-than-sprint triathlon this morning. Before work. What in the…

So I swam 1000 yards. I toweled off and did T1 in the bathroom stall.  T1 consisted of me wriggling my jiggles into my spin shorts and a sports bra. If you haven’t had the pleasure of putting on a dry sports bra on a wet set of boobs, you are in for a special triathlon treat.  It should be an event all its own.  Luckily in a real tri, you are already equipped.

I went to spin class with Mike McBlessings. (Yes, this is Mike wearing the SBM shorts. Don’t worry those of you Expert Protectors out there… I didn’t take this picture. His lovely girl, Janelle, sent it to me!)

Then I strapped on the sneaks and jogged downstairs for 4 miles on the treadmill.  The sun was shining into the gym and blinding me, and around mile 2, I felt so happy, thankful and alive.  I almost cried. ALMOST.

Then around Mile 3, I tried to figure out what in the hell was wrong with me – that I enjoy getting up at 4:15 in the morning for these shenanigans, and by Mile 3.5, I was in the pain cave.  But the four miles got finished, and I felt alive.

By 7:50am, approximately 3 hours after I left my house, I had completed a sprint triathlon.

Good grief.  Now, I’m not bragging. I’m sure Coach Monster does Ironmans before bed.

But I am using this as an example of how far steady work and dedication will go.  And not “perfect” dedication.  Just slow and steady.

Okay, so I finished my first tri in October 2010.  It was hard and scary and slow.  Today, I did a tri before work and I am functioning (hungry!!), not overly sore and mostly just happy.  Sixteen weeks ago, I was devastated with a broken foot. Yet, I put that behind me, and I’ve put down 9 miles of running this week, with a scheduled 7 on Saturday.

The forward motion works. Get the momentum and cling to it. Move. You do. You just do. You wake up, even if you are a zombie, and you put in the time and the miles and before you know it – something as absurd as doing a sprint tri before work happens …and the more absurd thing… you think it’s normal.

Although your co-workers will remind you that you are a freak.

“Hey Mere!  How was your workout this morning?” my legal assistant asked when I walked into the office.
“Oh, good,” I said.
“Well, what did you do today?”
“Oh, you know,” I paused. “Swim. Bike. Run.”
She blinked, “Which one?”
“Oh. Um,” I mumbled, “All three.”
“This morning?” she squealed.
“Yeah. Just a little of each,” I shrugged.
“What time did you wake up for that?”
I said, “Oh, I guess about 4:15.”
She paused.  “Damn girl, you are a freak.”

See?

If you forget that you are a freak, others will remind you.

The beauty of triathlon! I love being a freak. Lawd, how I love every second.  I wouldn’t trade the freakdom for all the peanut butter in the world.

21 Comments

• Karen

June 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

That. Is. Awesome. And so inspiring.
    But how the hell do you get up at that time? I have no kids (one dog!) and could not get up in the middle of the night!

• Cindy Bryl

June 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Timely post. I was thinking along the same lines last nite. I decided to stick to my 6.2 mile run despite a 100.4 temp and the stuffies. Halfway through I felt great and was thinking ‘wow, my body is so well conditioned that it expects this, now’. Slowed down around 4.5 miles but was so glad I had decided to run. Definately goes in my freak file.

• Kris

June 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Yes, people are never shy to remind us we’re crazy, are they? LOL – I’m impressed. My pool opens at 6:00, and dragging my butt out of bed at 5:15 to get there doesn’t happen as often as it should! You’re amazing….

• Tri Mum

June 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Yes, a freak, but I can relate. Well done on getting a session like this done before work. I’m impressed with your 4.15am start. It’s good knowing that the session is over and done with for the day. Plus there’s the smugness about having done a workout that most of your colleagues haven’t. Well done.

• Kristin

June 20, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I wish we worked out together….I need crazy workout friend…..live in Augusta…..come on over and lets ride the HIM route…

• Mike

June 20, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Ha, I can totally relate. Both to doing a tri as a workout, which used to be my goal, and is now a normal work out and as being called or looked at as a freak. Monday I had a couple co-workers ask if I had a nice Father’s Day. I said yep, it was nice. They asked if my family did anything for me and I said yep, they were out of town so I rode my bike for almost 5 hours :-). Not quite their idea of fun on Father’s Day.

• Donna

June 21, 2012 at 10:01 am

I needed this post so badly! I was dragging my butt around yesterday, didn’t eat right, not enough sleep and missed my swim and strength workout. I had a bad case of attitude. Turns out I needed the rest and to read your blog. I felt so good this morning- up at 5am, swam my 2000 meters and ready to do the strength workout. I realized that I was putting so much pressure on myself that training wasn’t enjoyable. Sometimes you have to give yourself a break from the “super mom cape”. I let out a big sigh of relief when I read your post, started over and feel so much better! I wish I could give you a hug 🙂

• TriBabe Terry

June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I read this after discussing my planned 40 mile bike ride tomorrow with my co-workers. They think I am a freak and I think, given that I hang with people who do century rides or longer on a Saturday, that I am a slacker. Put things in perspective.

BTW, love the dry sports bra on wet boobs mention – I did an indoor tri a few weeks ago and am so glad I wore my bra in the pool. Putting a dry bra on wet boobs is a BIG challenge.